The Koolsadhu
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Koolsadhu

Daily Reflections

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Auhor of the week : Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
koolsadhu1000

koolsadhu1000

Auhor of the week : Sir Arthur Conan Doyle Empty
PostSubject: Auhor of the week : Sir Arthur Conan Doyle   Auhor of the week : Sir Arthur Conan Doyle EmptyTue May 03, 2011 12:28 am

He is famous for his creation ..............SHERLOCK HOLMES .

The fictional detective who became famous , living on Baker Street , peering down the glass panes of his window and deducing mysteries by sitting in an arm chair , amidst thick swirls of smoke ............who doesn't know Sherlock Holmes and his answer

"Elementary My dear Watson ."

Do people actually read Arthur Conan Doyle today ? I ask this as many of the Holmes movies r filmed extremely welll ...the necessity to read books is fast diminishing . But i urge you to read him .......it is a different experience altogether . The excellent prose , the Victorian style and the impeccable grammar make them a treat to be relished .

If one has an English exam .........one should read WodeHouse or Conan Doyle . By the time he finishes , he will be hundred words richer in prose .

Very few know Conan Doyle was not really that succesful as a practitioner . In fact , as he waited for his Patients to come in his clinic , he had so much time on his hand that he conjured up all the plots for Sherlock Holmes there , making the best of his idle time .

He was fascinated by Indian mysticism . And very interested in the Paranormal and Supernatural societies of that time .

I believe he faced a tragedy in life .........the death of his son . That led him to explore the yogis , and the third power called God , and also the possibilities of a world unknown to us ........to which we cud gain access with the help of a medium . He spent a great portion of his life , getting in contact with such genuine mediums.

Please let us all discuss about him and pay him a tribute .
Back to top Go down
viram

viram

PostSubject: Re: Auhor of the week : Sir Arthur Conan Doyle   Auhor of the week : Sir Arthur Conan Doyle EmptyWed May 04, 2011 1:24 pm

[b]Thanks a lot for starting this Kools. Doyle is one of my favs and Holmes a character I would have loved to meet.

Doyle was in a league of his own. At times I feel the identities of Doyle and Homes did merge together.
His character Sherlock Holmes seems so real that I feel he really exists and so does his house no 221 B Baker Street .(I am not sure if it is a real address in London).And his ingenuity in solving the cases. Cant think of words to express my admiration for him.His intelligence and pride do not make him even a bit snobbish. Have always love his attitude.

And Watson his constant companion . And Moriarty his scheming enemy!!I do have a part of his works. My son has his own abridged collection and he loves Holmes.

Perhaps we will never come across such a character in the history of English Literature,

I remember watching a British TV series with the actor Jeremy Brett. Have you seen it?? It used to be aired on Star TV in the 1990s before it became a hindi channel completely. After watching him essaying the role of Holmes I cant think of anyone else in that role. [
/b]
Back to top Go down
atria

PostSubject: Re: Auhor of the week : Sir Arthur Conan Doyle   Auhor of the week : Sir Arthur Conan Doyle EmptyThu May 05, 2011 7:34 pm

Oh Holmes was my constant companion when I was a teenager. Loved his analysis of every situation, and the boundless energy alternating with long periods of lethargy. Greatest detective ever !

In the first Holmes novel, Study in Scarlet, Watson makes up this list of Holmes's abilities and weaknesses in an attempt to discover his profession, for a long time I used to do that for everyone around me and try to figure if you can really tell a persons profession from his knowledge base. Turns out to be pretty difficult actually. And I never could do that trick of glancing at a guy and immediately giving a true description of his life and characteristics. But thats what made Holmes so much fun. Laughing

Loved his relation with Moriarty too, they were the good and bad side of the same coin. Watson has to be the most successful sidekick in the history of the genre, a simple foil to Holmes without being stupid and interesting in his own right.

About Conan Doyle's other work, I only remember Lost World, which was pretty impressive in the adventure genre, long before Jurassic Park and such movies. He wrote other stuff also, including poetry, I think, but never read it.

I did read once that he was extremely interested in miscarriages of justice, and at least twice paid for appeals for people who he thought were wrongly convicted (both were later exonerated, one of them was half-Indian). Any one know any more about that?
Back to top Go down
koolsadhu1000

koolsadhu1000

PostSubject: Re: Auhor of the week : Sir Arthur Conan Doyle   Auhor of the week : Sir Arthur Conan Doyle EmptySun May 15, 2011 9:47 am

I remember watching a British TV series with the actor Jeremy Brett. Have you seen it?? It used to be aired on Star TV in the 1990s before it became a hindi channel completely. After watching him essaying the role of Holmes I cant think of anyone else in that role. [/b]

I saw it too . I too CANNOT imagine anyone else in that role .

The Old London ambience depicted in that serial takes u back in time as we watch HOlmes and Watson running on the cobbled London streets , hands on their heads to hold their hats and their long over coats flapping around their knees

viram , we have a LOT in common Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Auhor of the week : Sir Arthur Conan Doyle   Auhor of the week : Sir Arthur Conan Doyle Empty

Back to top Go down

Auhor of the week : Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Page 1 of 1