The Koolsadhu
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Koolsadhu

Daily Reflections

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Horror shows and movies

Go down 
+5
polki_zofi
koolsadhu1000
Levaz
swati
nikitagmc
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
nikitagmc

nikitagmc

Horror shows and movies Empty
PostSubject: Horror shows and movies   Horror shows and movies EmptyThu May 19, 2011 2:39 pm

So people, which is the scariest show/movie you have ever watched??? Do you watch such shows/movies

For me, the most scary show will always be 'Werewolf'. It was the most frightening show. I remember I used to run away from the room when the promo came on TV.

Aahat, during my childhood, was one of those shows which you badly wanted to watch, and yet you were scared of watching. As a rule, we never watched Aahat at home, but sometimes, while flicking channels, my father used to stumble upon it and that used to catch our attention. And then we would also ask him to let the channel remain and we would watch the whole show. At the end, I and my sister would go to sleep hugging each other and also our teddy bears- we would feel so scared. Laughing

One of the scariest episodes of Aahat was that of a man who used to guard a morgue. I remember I used to ask my Mom if the cadavers in medical college would also attack in this manner. I was veryyyy scared.

Nowadays Aahat has become sooooo comical that you can't help laugh at it. Quality kharab ho gayi hai. But in those days, Aahat was terror.

I've seen scary movies too, but I'll save that for another post.

Share your encounters here, people.
Back to top Go down
swati

swati

PostSubject: Re: Horror shows and movies   Horror shows and movies EmptyThu May 19, 2011 7:04 pm

I love to watch horror shows or movies Cool
Agree Nikki, Ahat was the best horror during our childhood affraid
I never used to get afraid infact loved to watch it Razz
The most scariest part has to be the mirror story :afraid: The gal used to lock the person into the mirror whoever came near it : affraid:

But the most funny thing is i was not able to sleep properly for 3 days after watching Krishna Cottage Embarassed I still dont know the reason but i was too much affected by that movie Shocked affraid
Back to top Go down
Levaz

Levaz

PostSubject: Re: Horror shows and movies   Horror shows and movies EmptyThu May 19, 2011 8:17 pm

By far, I must say that The Exorcist (original 1973 version) and The Entity (1982).
Both movies were excellent - and I saw them when I was very young.
The Exorcist for sheer thrills, and The Entity because it was supposedly based on a true haunting, which still goes on.

I have been hooked ever since, and sadly, mainly disappointed with many horror flicks, made only to display T&A.
Ever so often though, you do run into a good horror flick - Mirrors was another recent one.

Another one of my favorites is The Shining (1980) - still cant figure out which is more freaky:
the ghosts in the hotel or Jack Nicholson's depiction of a man's descent into madness or both !!!

The very first Nightmare on Elm Street was excellent too. One of the few (very few) Slash / Teenage horror flicks I liked.

We certainly cannot forget The Ring and The Grudge, however, I must say that the original Japanese versions
(Ringu and Ju-On respectively)with sub titles are much (so much more) effective than the listed English re-makes.

I must also include in the list - Jaws (none of the crappy sequels), Psycho (original, of course, as directed by the great Hitchcock),
Alien, and last but not the least - Rosemary's Baby.

Honorable mention to Event Horizon, The Omen, The Fly, Pet Cemetery, Seven, The Mist,
Silence of the Lambs, Hellraiser, Evil Dead (amazing what can be accomplished with a 15,000 budget!!),
28 Days Later, Misery (certain parts of me cringed and NEVER recovered, when she used sledge hammer!!)
Carrie, Christine, The Car, and i am sure I left many others out.

Sorry to go one with such a list, but I figured this would make it easy for others, who enjoy good horror flicks,
to get a consolidated list, in case they missed some of the good ones.

Hope I have listed some that you may have missed.
Back to top Go down
koolsadhu1000

koolsadhu1000

PostSubject: Re: Horror shows and movies   Horror shows and movies EmptyThu May 19, 2011 8:50 pm

Levaz u seem to like Stephen king ...........coz all those movies u mentioned were authored by him ........first as books then as scripts for movies .

The Exorcist, Evil dead , were scary movies .

I am a total horror movie buff . I watch them all ........even at night , eating popcorn .

Koi aane ko hai was a good serial in socio horror ..........surprisingly by Balaji . It was on real life supernatural events and after many days one had a quality horror serial .

Shh Phir koi Hai was good too .

i have watched all Dracula movies but I liked reading Bram Stoker more . Niki , u read it ..........its quality . The english , the writing , its superb .Dracula has to be READ rather than seen .

I cannot bear the Karate doing Van Helsng they show nowdays , kicking the butts of vampires . Bram Stoker wud have turned in his grave .

I cannot bear the BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER kinda movies too . They made a joke outta vampires .

Read the Exorcist by Blatty and Bram stoker's Dracula .

The Omen series too i have read and seen both .But Omen is horror in subtle form . So its bearable .

Indian movies r now becoming slicker and horror genre has improved .Raaz series , 13 B etc were good . So was RAAT .

but I loved GEHRAYEE ...........the indian version of Exorcist ..............starring Padmini Kolhapure and Anant nag . Many years ago .

Dont laugh but i love the RAMSAY movies ...........our first horror makers in Hindi movies . They r corny , cheesy , but I love em . Full time pass with God winning always in the end .
Back to top Go down
nikitagmc

nikitagmc

PostSubject: Wow!!!   Horror shows and movies EmptyFri May 20, 2011 1:13 am

Wow, you people seem to be found of horror movies and serials. I like them too and enjoy them at that time, but I always feel very scared later. affraid

@Swati: I remember that "Mirror' wala episode of Aahat too. I didn't watch it, but one of my friends told me the story. Later I saw the movie Mirrors, and till today the fear of mirror is such that I don't look into the Mirrors at night.

@LEvaz: Wow, what an impressive list! Out of these I have watched veryyy few movies--- Mirrors and 1408. I wanted to watch Grudge but my friends described a few scenes and that was enough to scare me badly.

Check out 'Paranormal activity'- I've heard even that is good.

@Kools: The only book of horror I've read is - 'Twilight'. (doesn't qualify as horror properly though). I have Exorcist, but not getting time to read it only. Sad I also want to start Stephen Kings novels cos I've been hearing about them a lot recently.

Ruskin Bond used to write short paranormal and horror stories and I found those interesting.

In the desi versions, I've seen Raat, Raaz 1 and 2 and Vastushastra (all from Ram Gopal Verma). He did a good job in these movies. But that crow one was bad (forgetting the name now). Nowadays the special effects are there but stories are weird- Vikram Bhatt in particular shelves out more and more of such movies, but they turn up to be weird. Recently my friends went to see Haunted and told me the story- I was laughing by the time they finished. I think ghosts will do a strike if they see how Vikram has presented them in the movie. Laughing Laughing Laughing Same with Shaapit- silly story. afro
Back to top Go down
swati

swati

PostSubject: Re: Horror shows and movies   Horror shows and movies EmptyFri May 20, 2011 5:33 am

Ha..Ha.. Nikki Smile The same thing happened with my Mom Wink She was so afraid, she did not see herself in the mirror during day time also Rolling Eyes
Papa had scolded me like hell and was never allowed to watch Ahat if Mum was with us Neutral
Back to top Go down
Levaz

Levaz

PostSubject: Re: Horror shows and movies   Horror shows and movies EmptyFri May 20, 2011 12:37 pm

koolsadhu1000 wrote:
Levaz u seem to like Stephen king ...........coz all those movies u mentioned were authored by him ........first as books then as scripts for movies .
The Exorcist, Evil dead , were scary movies .
I am a total horror movie buff . I watch them all ........even at night , eating popcorn .
Koi aane ko hai was a good serial in socio horror ..........surprisingly by Balaji . It was on real life supernatural events and after many days one had a quality horror serial .
Shh Phir koi Hai was good too .
i have watched all Dracula movies but I liked reading Bram Stoker more . Niki , u read it ..........its quality . The english , the writing , its superb .Dracula has to be READ rather than seen .
I cannot bear the Karate doing Van Helsng they show nowdays , kicking the butts of vampires . Bram Stoker wud have turned in his grave .
I cannot bear the BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER kinda movies too . They made a joke outta vampires .
Read the Exorcist by Blatty and Bram stoker's Dracula .
The Omen series too i have read and seen both .But Omen is horror in subtle form . So its bearable .
Indian movies r now becoming slicker and horror genre has improved .Raaz series , 13 B etc were good . So was RAAT .
but I loved GEHRAYEE ...........the indian version of Exorcist ..............starring Padmini Kolhapure and Anant nag . Many years ago .
Dont laugh but i love the RAMSAY movies ...........our first horror makers in Hindi movies . They r corny , cheesy , but I love em . Full time pass with God winning always in the end .

You got me there, Big HUGE fan of Stephen King novels, ever since I saw Christine back in the early 80's., followed shortly by Carrie.
I have read every one of his books, and I must admit that not all the movies do his books justice. An extreme disappointment was 1408,
the movie did not even come close to the momentum from the book.
I am sure the same applies to most book-turned-movies.

Off Topic - as much as I loved the Lord of the Rings Trilogy, it was indeed very close to what I had imagined too, with a lot of guidance from my old Sinclair Spectrum 48 games -
The Hobbit and other favorites based on J.R.Tolkiens books.

Back on topic, I have not seen too many Hindi horrors. I remember Hotel with the "hand", and vaguely remember a movie with Rehka and possession of some sort.
These are from the late 70's - early 80's, if I remember correctly.
I did get a good laugh out of Zee Horror show in the early 90's, though. Smile
Back to top Go down
Levaz

Levaz

PostSubject: Re: Horror shows and movies   Horror shows and movies EmptyFri May 20, 2011 12:40 pm

nikitagmc wrote:
@LEvaz: Wow, what an impressive list! Out of these I have watched veryyy few movies--- Mirrors and 1408. I wanted to watch Grudge but my friends described a few scenes and that was enough to scare me badly.

Nikita,

If you have not seen any of the movies that I listed out, then you are missing out!! Razz
I can guarantee that you will enjoy each and every one that I listed out.

Definitely better then the Grudge is the original, Ju-On. If you have not seen the Grudge yet,
Skip it and get the real thing - he he.

Time for a horror movie weekend for you.
Back to top Go down
koolsadhu1000

koolsadhu1000

PostSubject: Re: Horror shows and movies   Horror shows and movies EmptyFri May 20, 2011 1:03 pm

Levaz........me too . Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Lets shake hands like excited kids coz I too LOVE Stephen King . No , not a single movie can do King justice .........coz King writes in detail . Those details that build up the horror cannot be captured in 2 hours .

I have read ALL .............and I loved IT the most . Did they do a movie on The Tommy knockers ?

However My addiction to King is due to my addiction to the genre of horror ........he rules it so I am his fan . But on a critical note ..........Blatty's one book ..........The Exorcist ..........and Stoker's one book .......Dracula ........are way more quality than what King writes . King has criticised Blatty btw but I think its jealousy . Very Happy

Books like The Exorcist and Dracula r the one timers ...........like Gone With the Wind ..........in which an author puts ALL his best and then deflates like a balloon and never really writes like that again .

What i liked about King was ...........he was an English lit Prof , had done a creative writing course but undeterred by his creative writing teacher's contempt of his writing skills and his selection of the horror genre , he went on to write precisely in THAT genre only and made it big . I respect him for that ..........as these creative writing New Yorker Literateurs do NOT think writing in this genre is creative writing in its true sense at all . I find that superior and contrived . I find Stoker's Dracula every bit capable of winning a Booker or a Pulitzer . Its THEY who are closeninded .

I have dates with my son .........movie dates , whenever he has time . We both share horror as a passion . We see Ramsay's Purana Mandir in our CHEESY HORROR DATE time and Omen trilogys or Stigmata etc [ religious horror ] in Quality horror Date time .

That Movie of Rekha was Mangalsutra .

But I urge u to see if u can find a print of Gehrayee . They showed a black magic of ancient India , still done in villages ........called KARNI ......and showed how the malicious intent of a troubled soul unleashes horror . The KARNI was shown in Ram Gopal Vermas ...........latest one too ..............whats that movie where the Kid was affected and saved by Manja the Tantrik . The one where his archichtect Dad didnt believe in God . The first movie was good , the sequel as usual sucked
Back to top Go down
nikitagmc

nikitagmc

PostSubject: Re: Horror shows and movies   Horror shows and movies EmptyFri May 20, 2011 1:29 pm

koolsadhu1000 wrote:

I have dates with my son .........movie dates , whenever he has time . We both share horror as a passion . We see Ramsay's Purana Mandir in our CHEESY HORROR DATE time and Omen trilogys or Stigmata etc [ religious horror ] in Quality horror Date time .

But I urge u to see if u can find a print of Gehrayee . They showed a black magic of ancient India , still done in villages ........called KARNI ......and showed how the malicious intent of a troubled soul unleashes horror . The KARNI was shown in Ram Gopal Vermas ...........latest one too ..............whats that movie where the Kid was affected and saved by Manja the Tantrik . The one where his archichtect Dad didnt believe in God . The first movie was good , the sequel as usual sucked

The movie dates sound so cool... me and my Mom have gossip sessions when we gossip about ALL telly and bollywood actor- actresses. Cool

I think you are referring to that same film about which I wrote above- the name was Phoonk... disagree with you that it was good- it didn't succeed in scaring me, means it was not good, cos I'm the sort who gets scared by mild horror even. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
polki_zofi

PostSubject: Re: Horror shows and movies   Horror shows and movies EmptyFri May 20, 2011 2:58 pm

You girls are so brave Smile ... I never watch horror movies Sad ... mild is OK (like soul and spirit who have a better purpose other than eating people and scaring them Sad ) ...

But once I saw and I couldn't sleep for a few days ... in my late teen years Sad ... just before getting into University Sad ... with a few friends we saw at night Sad ... never again No ..
Back to top Go down
umayal

umayal

PostSubject: Re: Horror shows and movies   Horror shows and movies EmptyFri May 20, 2011 6:57 pm

Hi Nikki,

I love to see horror movies that were scary. It has a thrill in it. That too at night times. Very Happy. I might be crazy too you know. I search for horror movies most of the time. because the commercial movies coming now doesn't interests more. one or two is nice in it.

So thanks to you for opening this topic. I will get more movie names.
I would like to see more collection of such movies here so that I can see to it and watch the missed movies.

And thanks for Levaz, Levaz has given a nice long list and I had watched many in it. Yes, Exorcist,mirrors, Grudge(exactly the japenese version),Evil dead were good horrors.

Then when I was at PG, I heard from my friend that a film called 'Paranormal activity' was so scary and when she saw with her friend she was so scared.

It was a footage type of film. everything(their day to day activities ) are shoot in a camera.

So I just downloaded it and started watching it, asusual at night Smile. we were three , me ,my two friends.

one friend, who saw that movie as raised the expectation, but the other one said ,I feel afraid so I will not see it, she started watching some other film.

Then I started watching it, But I dont find it too scary, may be because of her raised expectation and as I was prepared for a more horror film,it doesn't affect me.

Then even power went off, I was continuing seeing it on laptop, they left the room outside saying, you wont get scared as you were one among them. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

And Nikki, when you speak of mirror ,I was reminded of my childhood too. there was a tamil horror movie, in which the mirror was the medium. it was the horror material .

And ,in my home too there was a mirror similar to that(dressing table type) and when I sleep in the night ,when I woke up and see it,I would always be reminded of that movie only and was scared too at that age.

Last edited by umayal on Fri May 20, 2011 8:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
koolsadhu1000

koolsadhu1000

PostSubject: Re: Horror shows and movies   Horror shows and movies EmptyFri May 20, 2011 8:04 pm

Phoonk part one was not bad . Horror shown in the form of possesion is often not that scary . But outside horror ............like the Aliens , or an entity from outside is scarier . What I liked about Phoonk was the research part on Tantric activities .I read up a lot on that subject in my Religious Literature reading .

Umi there was one movie called Poltergeist . Anyone see it ?Ghost in TV . Saw it ?

See it i u didnt see it . The indian name for this paranormal activity .......poltergeist is BhanaMati . It DOEs exist .

Umi see the KOI AANE KO HAI series . Its on Apni community or Bheja fry I think . 9 or eleven episodes for one topic .Real Life events .
Back to top Go down
umayal

umayal

PostSubject: Re: Horror shows and movies   Horror shows and movies EmptyFri May 20, 2011 8:13 pm

koolsadhu1000 wrote:

Umi there was one movie called . Anyone see it ?Ghost in TV . Saw it ?

See it i u didnt see it . The indian name for this paranormal activity .......poltergeist is BhanaMati . It DOEs exist .

Umi see the KOI AANE KO HAI series . Its on Apni community or Bheja fry I think . 9 or eleven episodes for one topic .Real Life events .

Di, will surely search it and see it. That's my weekend activity. Smile. Thanks for letting me know.

Both Poltergeist and KOI AANE KO HAI i haven't seen it.

Back to top Go down
pallai

pallai

PostSubject: Re: Horror shows and movies   Horror shows and movies EmptyFri May 20, 2011 8:55 pm

anybody here from "zee horror show" era??
Man i remember we were in school then and used to be shit scared to watch still my family used to watch it on friday night...
there was 1 gud episode in that with pallavi joshi....
few days back i caught up with those old episodes on youtube.. i was laughing my ass off... but at that time it was pretty horrifying...
then there was this series called "WOH" abt a midget joker.. even that scared me....

but the movie which scares me still is ram gopal verma's "bhoot" the theater scene is bad.. when she urmila realises every1 is staring back at her....

sometimes the psycho thrillers like "kaun" are more chilling then horror movies.. urmila look when they find out she is the killer man.. that scene was gud....

Back to top Go down
pallai

pallai

PostSubject: Re: Horror shows and movies   Horror shows and movies EmptyFri May 20, 2011 9:06 pm

lets talk abt real life experiences...

one of the stories running in my family, my cousin ( my aunt's son ) they moved to this new house.. and the day they moved.. my cousin ( who was little boy then ) saw something at the door ..just after he saw it.. he started vomitting blood.. and was hospitalized.. due to loss of blood.. my dad donated the blood and then he got alright... ofcourse they never shifted to that house..but after enquiring they came to know that a boy of my cousin's age had lived there and he had died of jaundice... my cousin refuses till date to tell us what he saw that day.. pale

another episode was one of my friends ( he is a teenager ) he went out with his group of friend.. these guys were roaming arnd in the night.. and they visited a graveyard.. my friend told.. at one spot.. it suddenly became so cold.. it was almost freezing... they just got freaked out and ran the hell out .. once out of the place.. the temperature was back to normal....
affraid

when i was in school me and 2 other girl friends tried the "candle adn sheet stuff" to speak with spirits.. we tried to call my friend's dead uncle.. well the coin moved and we asked questions like will be pass the exams? and whether he was happy.. my friend started to cry in between. and then the coin was moving fast.. and we were getting so tensed.. he told that he was very happy where he was.. and that he has also found some to love... i still cannt beleive it had worked.. but while sending him back it took some time.. i was really scared .. it was done in my house and my parents didnt know abt it...but then after that day i was really ashamed to do this .. i thought one must respect the dead and not try doing these stuff.. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
koolsadhu1000

koolsadhu1000

PostSubject: Re: Horror shows and movies   Horror shows and movies EmptyFri May 20, 2011 10:09 pm

Hahaha , Pallai , most interesting experiences . My great grandfather 's brother was often SEEN in our ancestral home in Goa. He looked just like my great grandfather except that he was dark . This is for REAL btw , not made up . Too many coincidences where people who got up at midnight to pee etc saw him and called him out thinking it was my Great grandfather . He even turned and LOOKED . But never spoke though . He had a favorite spot where he was seen , exactly at that spot . He loved sitting there and looking out .

Also , if ANYTHING untoward was gonna happen in that ancestral home , an old cobra wud bee seen with raised hood in the house . He was the PROTECTOR of the family and each Nag Panchami day , milk wud be kept for him . Whenever he wud be spotted , they wud rush to astrologers or brahmins to ask which calamity wud befall them .And it WOULD . He had surfaced when a big storm nearly wrecked the house 3 days later after he had given darshan . But it was Saved . He PROTECTS by warning is the STRICT belief .

Btw who has seen Tamil movie Bhargavi Nilayam . Its abt ghost .
Back to top Go down
pallai

pallai

PostSubject: Re: Horror shows and movies   Horror shows and movies EmptyFri May 20, 2011 10:48 pm

kools,
there are many real life experiences.. my friend's dad had a interesting approach to movie watching... .. what he used to do is pick a day and watch movies back to back that day starting from Mornng show till late night.. once when he was retuning home after a late night movie.. it was pretty dark on the road.. wen was abt about to keep a step ahead he was called by someone from behind asking for machis... my friends dad regained his balance and looked in his pocket to remove and give . but wen he turned there was no one.. after that he saw that there was big pit there which he hadnt seen before bcos it was dark.. so the kind spirit had actually saved him from falling down and hurting himself.

btw wat all i wrote above is for real Smile

though i watch tamil movies i haevnt seen that one...
Back to top Go down
nikitagmc

nikitagmc

PostSubject: Re: Horror shows and movies   Horror shows and movies EmptyFri May 20, 2011 11:28 pm

Wow, most interesting stories!!! Very Happy

There was a friend of mine who lived in a famous boarding school of Mussoorie- and there were many spirits in that area. They used to actually roam over the whole of the hillside. (Maybe there was a graveyard or something nearby). But they never did anything- you could just identify them as light, misty things.

By the way, do you know MOST hospitals have some sort of ghost story floating in the campus??? Exclamation Type 'haunted hospitals' and google it, you will come across unbelievable no. of articles. Even in my hospital there are stories of ghosts...

I even wrote one article on 'haunted hospitals' for my college magazine.
Back to top Go down
umayal

umayal

PostSubject: Re: Horror shows and movies   Horror shows and movies EmptySat May 21, 2011 9:27 am

koolsadhu1000 wrote:

Btw who has seen Tamil movie Bhargavi Nilayam . Its abt ghost .

Di, is it Shanti Nilayam ?
Back to top Go down
koolsadhu1000

koolsadhu1000

PostSubject: Re: Horror shows and movies   Horror shows and movies EmptySat May 21, 2011 9:36 am

Umi ........its an old movie . Bhargavi Nilayam .........I think its name of a house .............named after the girl who dies .Its the ONLY tamil movie I saw as a child .......and I saw it coz it was a Ghost movie ..................The other Tamil movie I saw being Shankara Bharanam . I had loved it .

Pallai , I am coming up with some , U have interesting stock

Niki , Post that article na . Hum Bhi Padhenge .
Back to top Go down
Levaz

Levaz

PostSubject: Re: Horror shows and movies   Horror shows and movies EmptySat May 21, 2011 1:00 pm

koolsadhu1000 wrote:
Levaz........me too . Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Lets shake hands like excited kids coz I too LOVE Stephen King . No , not a single movie can do King justice .........coz King writes in detail . Those details that build up the horror cannot be captured in 2 hours.
I have read ALL .............and I loved IT the most . Did they do a movie on The Tommy knockers ?
However My addiction to King is due to my addiction to the genre of horror ........he rules it so I am his fan . But on a critical note ..........Blatty's one book ..........The Exorcist ..........and Stoker's one book .......Dracula ........are way more quality than what King writes . King has criticised Blatty btw but I think its jealousy . Very Happy
Books like The Exorcist and Dracula r the one timers ...........like Gone With the Wind ..........in which an author puts ALL his best and then deflates like a balloon and never really writes like that again .
What i liked about King was ...........he was an English lit Prof , had done a creative writing course but undeterred by his creative writing teacher's contempt of his writing skills and his selection of the horror genre , he went on to write precisely in THAT genre only and made it big . I respect him for that ..........as these creative writing New Yorker Literateurs do NOT think writing in this genre is creative writing in its true sense at all . I find that superior and contrived . I find Stoker's Dracula every bit capable of winning a Booker or a Pulitzer . Its THEY who are closeninded .
Definitely, we must meet for a common long weekend, and have horror weekend. There are some movies which great no matter how many times they are repeated.
Agreed, Stephen King may not be a literary genius, in terms of Pulitzer Prize winners, but he has demonstrated a consistent performance.

Yes, they did make a movie based on Tommyknockers, but yet again, the movie did not compare well to the book.
I remember the book, IT; I read it when I was in University - it was quite the rage back then. Excellent book, though. Movie - ehhhh, so so.

Even his creations under his pseudonym, Richard Bachman, had some fantastic fantasy and extremely popular movies - The Running Man, Thinner, The Dark Half.
I dont think a movie was made from one of my favorites though - The Talisman. However, I must have seen the Running Man at least 30 - 40 times - I love the movie.

There is one short story of his that i would love to see in movie format - The Body Politic - about the parts of teh body seeking freedom!!!
What a concept.

True about the one in a million and then none to match the caliber from the authros - Dracula and Exorcist.
It is almost like poor Don McLean with his incredible American Pie, it was so incredibly excellent, nothing he created since matched,]
even though he did come up with some excellent follow up songs - Vincent, for example.

Sadly, everyone else in my family - my lovely wife (good thing she is gorgeous, makes up for here fear) - are scaredy cats - ha ha.
My kids are too little yet, so I have some hope there!!

Quote :
YES, that was it. Not bad for the 80's, I think it was.

Quote :
But I urge u to see if u can find a print of Gehrayee . They showed a black magic of ancient India , still done in villages ........called KARNI ......and showed how the malicious intent of a troubled soul unleashes horror . The KARNI was shown in Ram Gopal Vermas ...........latest one too ..............whats that movie where the Kid was affected and saved by Manja the Tantrik . The one where his archichtect Dad didnt believe in God . The first movie was good , the sequel as usual sucked .
I am not much for Hindi movies - the last ones I really liked were Sholay (in my Top 5 all time favorites) and after that, Trishul.
I will, however, look up your recommendations and try to get them.

There have also been a couple of good horror flicks from Thailand and Korea as well.
If I remember their names, i will mention it here.

Back to top Go down
nikitagmc

nikitagmc

PostSubject: Re: Horror shows and movies   Horror shows and movies EmptySat May 21, 2011 1:33 pm

koolsadhu1000 wrote:

Niki , Post that article na . Hum Bhi Padhenge .

Most of it was actually intended to be sarcastic cos the college buildings have not been managed well- college was built in 1853 (J.J. hospital, Grant Medical college, Mumbai) and its the oldest in India- the govt hasn't done a good job at retaining the charm of those Victorian style buildings. They look ghosly and scary.

Will search for the article and post it.
Back to top Go down
anu rulz

anu rulz

PostSubject: Re: Horror shows and movies   Horror shows and movies EmptySun May 22, 2011 6:46 am

am toh a total scaredy cat..i get afraid of the sound effects more thn anything else.. Embarassed
the ones i have seen in the theatre are bhoot (wen the doorbell wud ring,i wud be jumping up in my seat..lol) and excorcism of emily rose..tht was superscary..
rest like psycho,excorcist,the ring i have seen in full daylight on the laptop.. Rolling Eyes
i used to watch aahat tho once in a while..one i remember was wid this girl whose hostel mates scared to death by pulling a prank and she returns to haunt thm..it was chilling..
books,i read fantasy ones more thn horror ones..i enjoy vampire books,read most of thm like the twilght series,vampire diaries,vampire academy,the circle trilogy..bt not the out and out horror ones...
Back to top Go down
Levaz

Levaz

PostSubject: Re: Horror shows and movies   Horror shows and movies EmptyFri May 27, 2011 12:31 pm

koolsadhu1000 wrote:
But I urge u to see if u can find a print of Gehrayee . They showed a black magic of ancient India , still done in villages ........called KARNI ......and showed how the malicious intent of a troubled soul unleashes horror . The KARNI was shown in Ram Gopal Vermas ...........latest one too ..............whats that movie where the Kid was affected and saved by Manja the Tantrik . The one where his archichtect Dad didnt believe in God . The first movie was good , the sequel as usual sucked.

Saw Gehrayee a couple of days ago. Liked it. Thanks for the recommendation.
Really like the lack of singing in the garden running around the trees Razz
I dont know how I did not see that before. The movie is from 1980.
Back then, I guess, not too many movies were released (or easily available) on VHS, and censorship was much stricter in the Middle East.
We had only (1) theater that played Hindi movies in those days, and they probably chose to play the more commercially profitable releases.

On a side note, off topic, of course, took the family to see Kung Fu Panda 2 and I thought it was excellent.
Filled in a lot of gaps from part 1, and yet, had a totally independent story line.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Horror shows and movies   Horror shows and movies Empty

Back to top Go down

Horror shows and movies
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next